My Birth Story

I know this has taken me a while to write and I thought I should just forget about it, but then I wanted to document every detail to look back on and eventually share with Keoni one day. I hope I don’t scare anyone away (hehe).


Keith and I signed up for a Hypnobirthing class because I felt pretty strongly about giving birth naturally. I figured woman all around the world have been doing this for years and our bodies are literally made to birth naturally. I knew that I needed to get my mind in the right head space to accomplish such an overwhelming task, so we incorporated Hypnobirthing to truly understand how giving birth naturally can be done. After seeing woman give birth in such a calm and peaceful way, I felt extremely confident in my ability to give birth the same way.


Since taking the Hypnobirthing class, my expectation was to be able to birth naturally by using all the breathing techniques I learned, using visuals, and to move into different positions that would help with any discomfort. I pictured myself being in labor for only 5 hours – pain free, without having to push the baby out. I was taught that pushing your baby out isn’t always necessary, that your baby could potentially just slip right out from breathing baby down. And guess what? THIS DID NOT HAPPEN FOR ME. It definitely happens for some women (which I am totally jealous of), but not for me ya’ll.


September 1st:

8am: I felt a gush of liquid exit, I figured it was my water breaking. Called my doctor and she suggested we go to the hospital. Went to triage and was only 1cm dilated. We were sent home.

6pm: Felt my first contraction. uncomfortable, but tolerable. For the next 6 hours I couldn’t sleep, lay down, or sit. I was pretty uncomfortable and my contractions were happening every 4-5 min.

September 2nd:

12am: My contractions were getting stronger. I couldn’t talk in between each one. My contractions were now 3 minutes apart. Called my doctor and told us to head to the hospital. Went to the hospital – still 1cm dilated. I was shocked. The nurse told me to come back when the pain was unbearable. I thought the pain was already at that level, so I couldn’t even imagine it being more painful. Boy, was I wrong.

7am: At this point I was completely exhausted. I hadn’t slept for the past 24 hours. I was in so much pain. I was in and out of the shower, hoping that the warm water would lessen the pain. It helped a bit, but my back felt like it was going to break into a million little pieces. Keith was applying pressure on my back , but at this point I WAS DONE.

7:30am: Went to the hospital for the 3rd and final time! I was 4cm dilated – HALLELUJAH! My contractions were happening every two minutes. In between each contraction I would doze off and then awake by the extreme discomfort. I’ve never been so tired in my life.

11am: I looked at Keith and told him I couldn’t do it anymore. He encouraged me to keep going (which I appreciated), but my body was completely worn out. I needed to rest.

12pm: I got an epidural and the pain was gone in an instant. In a way I was disappointed in myself for not being able to finish through with a natural birth, but I’m still so proud of being able to withstand 18 hours of natural labor. Its hard work ya’ll!

2pm: I dilated to 6cm.

3pm: I dilated to 8cm. Had my water broken.

7pm: At this point I hadn’t dilated anymore, so I was given a drop of pitocin to get things moving. The last 2 cm seriously took forever.

September 3rd:

12am: I was finally 10 CM DILATED! It was time to push. Before pushing they gave me a warning that this process might be longer than usual because he was sunny side up. I had Keith on the left side of me and my mom on the right side. They were both holding up a leg to help me push. I also had my two sisters, my best friend Ernie, and my mother-in-law in the room. They all were cheering me on which I am very grateful for. I felt like I pushed for 30 minutes, but it was a full two hours.

2:25am: 32 hours of labor + Keoni Eugene Fukuda was born. He weighed 8 pounds/4oz and 20.5 inches long. He was absolutely perfect. He rested his little head on my chest and I instantly fell in love. Keith was in tears and I was in a bliss.

What a journey pregnancy and giving birth is and even though 32 hours of the process was not the most fun, I can’t wait to do it all over again.

Processed with VSCO with a6 preset
Processed with VSCO with a6 prese
Processed with VSCO with a6 preset
Processed with VSCO with a6 preset
Processed with VSCO with a6 preset

2 thoughts on “My Birth Story

  1. You did pretty well for a first timer.You’re a trooper and I commend you for that.What a BEAUTIFUL BABY ,KEONI EUGENE FUKUDA.We thank you for giving us ,our very first grand baby.We know he’s going to be love unconditionally,Keoni is one lucky boy to have you and Keith as parents.We love all three of you.GOD IS SO GOOD,we’re blessed.😇😇😇

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s